Nest cam is an awesome little security camera that helps you monitor your home, but you don’t want to pay Nest for the privilege. If you live in a place where Nest cams are only available through a subscription service, you can still watch and record your nest cam footage locally.
Nest Cam is a broadcast-quality outdoor camera that helps you keep an eye on your home from anywhere in the world. This is a great option for parents who often work long hours and need to keep an eye on their children at all times.
Can You Record Nest Cam Locally?
The Nest Cam is a security camera that took the world by storm. It’s used to keep an eye on your home when you’re away, and it can be remotely monitored from anywhere in the world. It can even be activated by people outside of your home, for example, when you travel.
Yes, you can easily record your cam locally or on a private cloud. Normally, Nest Cam can be used to record via a subscription. Basically, this way all recordings are stored in the cloud. However, users have wondered if it is really possible to record Nest Cam locally.
If you are also looking for an answer, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will explain in detail everything you need to know about Nest cam local recording.
Here is a simple way to record your Nest Cam locally without incurring extra fees through Nests subscription service.
How to Record Nest Cam Locally
Many people use their Nest Cam to watch their homes remotely and catch any potential burglars in the act. Many people also use it as a personal security camera to monitor the home while they are away.
However, many people find they cannot get the quality feed they want from their Nest Cam. For this reason, I have put together this blog post with an overview of how to record your Nest Cam locally. I hope you find this guide useful!
Also, make sure you have a Nest Aware Subscription before you try this.
- On any computer web browser, log in to your account on nest.com
- Select the camera that recorded the video you want to view
- Go to Clips, located in the lower right corner of your screen. You may need to make your browser window larger to view it.
- Click on “Create Clip.”
- Sliders should appear in your timeline. Now drag them either forward or backward to select when your video starts and when it ends.
- Once you’ve made the selected part of your video into a clip, give your new clip any name you like and click save
- Once you’ve saved the file, a pop-up will appear saying “Your clip is now ready.
- View your clip.” Select View your clip.
- Click on your clip and check if it is really the way you want it. If it is, just click “Done.”
- You should now have a recorded clip from your Nest Cam to your local computer storage
Furthermore, there’s another method to Record Nest Cam locally FREE, however, it may seem outdated but still works.
What you will need:
Web browser to see the source code and VLC player on your computer.
How to record Nest locally using VLC
- Make your camera publicly shareable
- Navigate to the public link for the camera
- View the source code of the camera’s output stream (or use the Inspect Tool and click on the video)
- Go to VLC on your computer
- Go to “Tools > Preferences (Ctrl + P) > Input / Codecs > Files” and set your storage location HDD or NAS
- Click “Media > Open Network Stream (Ctrl + N)”
- Paste your link from earlier > Click Play
- The video window will now open, so you need to click Play > Record.
Using Nest Cam local recording is a super easy process and it’s great to have the option to use Nest Cam local recording on your own network. While this will allow you the convenience of recording the events that you want to have on video 24/7, it’s important to note that that the video only saves to your local storage.
Also, remember is it safer to save your videos in the clouds. So ensure you subscribe to Nest Aware to save yourself this stress.